“In order to love simply, it is necessary to know how to show love” – Dostoyevsky
I decided that given my diagnosis 7 years ago of type II Diabetes, I would dedicate my life to living healthier. Then, I started college and I was living meal to meal never really watching anything or carb counting or any other health sustaining choice your supposed to be doing with that prognosis. It was difficult to comprehend that even though I was active, running from class to class and always, “on the go”, that did not classify as exercise either. I was kidding myself, or convincing myself that I was doing all I could. This illness runs in my family. All the women on my mothers side of the family have T2D. I had a wake up call when my mother finally lost her vision due to complications of the illness and I decided that I didnt want to live that way. I had too much life left to live and too much world to see. I thought what kind of a person would let themselves go blind if they could prevent it?
I started exercising, label reading, I even took a class in type 2 management. I attend an annual refreshers course on the complications and preventative measures associated with Diabetes. I am too young and too educated about this to not know better. I lost 30 pounds in a month and was stoked only to start dealing with a bout of depression and I regressed. I was dealing with being homeless, and family issues, and living on less than any person should have to in this day and age. Even while going to school and pitching in my little paycheck from my state work study which, was a maximum 20 hours a week. My mother’s health began to decline rapidly so I had decisions to make. I stopped my care and focused on her. Im not complaining or asking for a gold star, Im just trying to get my point across that we all live under different circumstances and we shouldn’t judge people when we don’t understand what they’ve been through.
I’ve gained all my weight back since then and a whole lot more…
My health has taken a turn and I am no longer the sort of healthy girl I was in my early twenties and its become obvious by the signs of floaters in my eyes. This is how it started for my mother. I’ve decided to ultimately pull my head out of my ass and get back on the fast track to healthy living.
Now, instead of a diet, I’ve started a complete lifestyle change. I need to get my mind, body and diabetes under control. So my official new life began yesterday. I begin my day with reading a love quote from a small calendar that was given to me by a special person. My next step is to integrate a 15 minute meditation, for example the awesome yoga youtube videos make a great tool. I will increase it as I see fit. Im not rushing and thats the point. Also this isnt set up for me to do bright and early in the morning, the hell with that. If my second shift and insomnia cause me to wake up at noon, well guess what? This process will start at that point. Its 7am somewhere right? The important thing is that Im fitting it in. The rest of my day will consist of healthy eating, I will post awesome new recipes I’m trying and pictures of what my attempt looks like. Im also taking some time out to write which is something that used to give me pleasure and relieves stress for me which, is part of the mind synch. This is a learning process for me and I want to record my days using this blog. My moods, my stress, if Im feeling hopeless or exhilarated. For now, internet people… you are my therapist…
Lunch today was pretty simple, luckily enough I live closed to a good market that has a fresh produce salad bar… I added some chickpeas for more fiber and a few shakes of a sesame noodle to add some snap to it. It was also my first time with Chobani greek yogurt, or any greek yogurt. I chose pineapple of course for its delicious flavor. Im sure Shawn Spencer would be happy. Those of you that watch Psych will understand that reference if not… wait for iiiiiiiiiiiiiiit! hehe.
Now for dinner… tonight I decided on pasta to remind myself that I can still have my favorite foods just portion control and replace some of the less healthier ingredients with healthier ones. I used a multigrain pasta and those of you who are in doubt, give it a try. Its not as bad as it used to be and it tastes pretty much the same. I also opted for a lighter sauce and bought one that had less sodium, and fewer calories. Prego now makes a heart healthy line and its pretty good and I replaced the ground beef/sausage with a ground turkey just added a teaspoon of olive oil to make up for the less fat. Came together nicely and I made a good sized side salad with a vinegar dressing eating it first to fill me up so I wouldn’t crave so much of the pasta.
Not sure whats on the menu for tomorrow but you know I will post it no matter what.
For now, Im going back to watch my season 4 of CSI:NY!
Over and Out
Here are my top TV shows… If your looking for something good to watch, check’em out.
These are in no specific order. They are all great from top to bottom.
1. Being Human. This first season syfy series is taken from the UK show with the same name. It follows the lives and relationships that evolve around the main characters, A werewolf, A ghost and A vampire. Ultimately, this show has spunk. Its not jammed pack with action but the scenes are meaningful and the relationships are easy to swallow. It doesn’t require you undivided attention to enjoy it or the actors.
2. Supernatural airs on CW. To put it lightly this show rocks my socks and I never miss an episode. The witty one-liners, the chemistry between the cast, and the never ending shock value of the episodes always ends with me in stitches. Its a well rounded show full of love, life, and loss. It follows the story of two supernatural hunter brothers, Sam and Dean Winchester. After overcoming the loss of bot their mother and father to demons, the brothers take on angels, demons and anything else that goes bump in the night. For me this show has it all and I’ve laughed, cried and shook my fist at the TV plenty of times. I highly recommend it. Its in its 6th season so please go back and become and supernatural fan from the beginning.
3.CSI: NY I am so in love with this show and I have been for years. Its based on the premise of the other popular CSI programs only this one hits closer to home for me. Its the NY crime lab and they are geared to solve murders and make you say awwwwe at the same time. The relationships between characters make this an easy watch even if you’re squeamish around the usual blood and guts of crime shows. Pretty good watch and I recommend to anyone who likes crime dramas. It airs on CBS.
4. PSYCH, This show has some of the best comedic writers working in the television industry. I am always entertained when I’m watching Psych. The main character Shawn and his noble ever name changing sidekick Gus have convinced the Santa Barbara Police Department that Shawn is psychic in order to gain employment. Shawn uses a set of hyper observant skills taught to him by his father, a retired cop for the SBPD. The hilarious duo find themselves in danger around every corner but never fail to deliver the greatness that is Psychic Detective Shawn Spencer and his partner Gee Buttersnaps! Airs on the USA network.
5. Lie To Me. This show has changed the way I look at people on a regular basis. Its story line is based on a man with an extraordinary gift of reading peoples faces or what is known as micro-expressions. His team of naturals and educated face readers make up a group of people you do not want to come up against. Walking in Cal’s shoes is his teenage daughter who isn’t far behind him in being able to read people in a split second. The dynamic of this show is so unique and refreshing. Its the type of show that you can rewatch episodes no matter how many times you’ve seen them. It currently airs on FOX.
6. BONES. Last but certainly not least. This show should require no recommendation because you ALL should already be watching it. Taking the unlikely duo of a scientific forensic anthropologist and a heart heavy FBI agent with a past and combining them into an hour of magic. Simply put, you cannot take your eyes off the screen during the episode. They both learn a little more about themselves only by spending time in each others worlds. The supporting cast in this show is remarkable and they can hold their own against the big dogs. The relationships are cemented and they are proving to stand the test of time as the seasons progress and new adventures begin. Crime solving, butt kicking, hilarity are packed into each episode and you better believe my DVR is set every Thursday night.
Today’s freaky fact…
Gloucestershire airport in England used to blast Tina Turner songs on its runways to scare birds away.
Well now you know.
Well, today I am brand new. Although I may be a novice in the world of wordpress, I assure you that I’ve been a blogger before blogging had a name. So lets jump “write” in! (see what I did there? Ok so I’m probably not the first to use this joke but chances are I wont be the last and Im comfortable being the middle child. Not too much is expected of the middle child.)
Friday! It was payday… so this means what exactly? It means the money I worked hard for the past two weeks was given to me so I could put it right back into the economy. While I wish I could say it was spent on frivolous items like socks and underwear, alas it was spent on rent and paying for my car registration renewal. So here was todays struggle…
It was too late to mail off for my renewal so I took it to a local notary. Im sitting there money in had to do this simple transaction when she looks at me and says, “Uh Oh”… Lady do not say Uh Oh… I’m sitting here with the 50 bucks clenched in my hand about to beg her for my little plate sticker when she tells me that my state suspended my tags! So I seen her “Uh Oh” and raised her a big o’ WTF? I swear I started pouting when I watched her put the envelop containing the registration back into the pile of other unopened envelops. I sat there patiently or as well as I could mange, and listened to her tell me my next steps.
- Leave her notary and drive across town to another notary.
- Wait in line at 2nd notary, playing fruit ninja on my iPhone watching the clock, hoping to be out of there by 2pm to get to work.
- Sit with a notary and explain why I was sent there, which for the record notary people, you know why we are there so when Im explaining something to you it would be helpful if you didn’t just blink at me. A simple nod of recognition would be suitable.
- Let the notary take a giant bite out of my wallet by charging me every fee known to woman while she smiled.
- Grab my new registration and haul ass to my job.
Now I know most of you are wondering as was I, why the hell my tag was suspended in the first place… hope your sitting down.
It was because in May of last year I bought a new car and got rid of my old car on the same day. My insurance was up for my old car so I didn’t bother renewing and it expired that night at midnight. I took my new car the same day and signed with a new insurance company. I was supposed to mail in proof of insurance to my DOT when I received the paperwork.(Which never came) So for those 3 hours of transfer being “unaccounted” for by my states DOT I was required to pay 75 bucks to reinstate my privilege to renew my vehicle registration.
Moral of the story folks: Don’t wait until the last week to renew your registration otherwise, you could be in for a hell of a day. Procrastination kiddies is not always our friends.